What is Sport Medicine?
Sport medicine combines general medical principles with the techniques of sport science
to help anyone, of any age, remain active. The therapies developed for athletes can readily
be applied to anyone with joint and muscle pain.
Sport medicine also integrates the expertise of therapists, nutritionists and psychologists to
promote better health through fitness and exercise.
Who can benefit from our services?
Anyone whose ability to function is affected by pain, stiffness or muscle spasm resulting from:
- Sport and recreational activities
- Wear and tear in joints and muscles, including arthritis
- Neck and lower back pain
- Accidents in the home or workplace
- Motor vehicle accidents
What services do we offer?
- Medical assessment and treatment
- Massage therapy
- Exercise therapy
- Return to activity guidelines for those with medical problems such as:
- heart disease
- Expertise in fitting of supports, braces and orthotics
- Sport and activity specific prevention and treatment programs eg: golf, skiing, working at the computer
- Ergonomic assessments and recommendations
Who makes up our team?
- Physicians with Sport Medicine expertise and skills in the treatment of aches and pains of all types
- Registered Physiotherapists
- Affiliate member Kinesiologist and Certified Fitness Instructor
- Registered Massage Therapist
- Canadian Certified Pedorthist
What is our goal?
- To assess injuries quickly – usually within 24 hours
- To initiate an early active rehabilitation program
- To formulate safe return-to-activity guideline
Is it necessary to have a referral to see our Sport Medicine Doctor?
No. However it would be helpful to obtain a referral from your physician.
What is the method of payment?
Assessment and treatment by physicians are covered by OHIP. Coverage for the therapy services is
available through Extended Health Plans, WSIB and Motor Vehicle Accident Insurance.
Our Staff will assist you with any questions regarding coverage